How To Clean A Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers are a popular and inexpensive way to improve mattress comfort. Because they're sitting on the bed, right under the sheets, mattress toppers can be exposed to spills, body oil, sweat, and other contaminants that can stain the duvet cover. This guide explains how to clean a mattress cover without damaging its internal components. Most of mattress toppers are made from memory foam, foam, and latex, but natural materials like feather and wool are also common. These materials can absorb moisture and cleaning products, so special care is required when cleaning. Arrowsoft mattresses factory will explain how to clean memory foam mattress topper and other types of mattresses thoroughly and safely.
How to Clean a Mattress Topper
The correct way to clean pocket coil mattress covers depends on how dirty they are. If all you need is a refreshing deodorant, a simple baking soda wash will suffice. You may need to use a mild cleaner such as white vinegar or an enzymatic cleaner if there is a spill. In any case, it's best to avoid harsh cleaners, as they can discolor and even damage the delicate foam and other padding materials used for mattress topper.
Basic Mattress Topper Cleaning. For routine cleaning, here’s how to freshen up a mattress topper:
- Peel and wash bedding.
- Carefully remove the mattress topper from the mattress and place it on the floor or flat surface (you may need two people to move the top cover - be careful as the thinner foam can be easily damaged).
- Vacuum thoroughly with the hand-held attachment of the vacuum cleaner.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over the entire surface of the top.
- Let the top cover in baking soda for at least 8 hours.
- Vacuum thoroughly to remove baking soda.
- If desired, flip the top over and repeat steps 3-6 on the other side.
This method is simple, quick, and uses only baking soda and a vacuum cleaner. It works because of the unique ability of baking soda to neutralize odors and draw out moisture. We recommend doing the entire process 2 to 3 times a year, or as needed to keep the top fresh. For faster cleaning, simply vacuum the sheets every time you wash the sheets to remove dust particles.
Mattress Topper Deep Cleaning
In some cases, your mattress topper may require a deeper cleaning. In the event of a spill or accident, you first need to absorb as much liquid as possible, then use a mild cleaner to remove odors and reduce the chance of permanent stains. Here's how to deep clean a soiled mattress cover:
- Peel and wash bedding.
- If there is a lot of liquid on the top, gently blot dry with a towel or paper towel. Gently absorb moisture. Do not rub as this has the potential to push the liquid further up the top.
- Gently remove the topper from the mattress and place it on the floor.
- Check for liquid if seep into the mattress itself (if it does, blot and apply baking soda to the mattress, then follow the steps outlined in our mattress cleaning guide).
- Mix equal parts cold water and distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the affected area of the mattress cover.
- Gently absorb excess water with a towel.
- Sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda on the mattress cover and let it sit for at least 8 hours.
- Vacuum the baking soda.
- Check for signs of stains and/or odors. You may need to repeat steps 6-9 if necessary.
- Let the hat dry well. Opening windows to increase airflow, turning on fans, or turning up the heat can all help speed up the process.
In many cases, a simple solution of water and white vinegar is an effective and all-natural mattress cleaner. Although vinegar has a strong odor, it is an effective cleanser that helps neutralize other odors. Applying baking soda after using the cleanser can also help neutralize the vinegar smell. For biological spills and stains, commercial enzymatic cleaners may work better than vinegar and water solutions. If you choose to go this route, check the directions on the product packaging and make sure to use the cleaner sparingly. In some cases, cleaning products can cause discoloration or damage to the mattress cover.
CONTACT US NOW
Foshan Arrow Furniture Co., Ltd.
We are always providing our customers with reliable products and considerate services.
If you would like to keep touch with us directly, please go to contact us